IN THIS ARTICLE
The Terrain Gem is an experimental terrain system. Use the terrain system to create, manipulate, render, and simulate a terrain surface.
The Terrain Gem has the following key features:
- Maps height, color, and surface data to regions of the world.
- Provides gradient-based and shape-based authoring tools and workflows to create and manipulate the terrain data.
- Exposes a queryable API that is usable by both simulation and rendering.
- Renders an efficient, high-quality terrain visualization across the view distance.
- Integrates with physics to provide a “physical” simulation of the terrain in the virtual world.
To enable the Terrain Gem, do the following:
- Use Project Manager or the command line to add the Terrain Gem to your project.
- Build your project using Project Manager, Visual Studio, or CMake.
|Terrain Physics Collider||Provides terrain data to a physics collider in the form of a heightfield and surface to material mapping.|
|Terrain Layer Spawner||Spawns a terrain region contained within configurable bounds, and allows prioritization of overlapping terrain layers.|
|Terrain Height Gradient List||Provides terrain height data from a list of gradients.|
|Terrain Surface Material List||Defines mappings between a surface type and a render material.|
|Terrain Surface Gradient List||Defines mappings between a gradient and a surface type on a terrain layer.|
|Terrain Macro Material||Provides a macro level method of defining the appearance of a region of terrain.|